ADAPT’s first Expo, combined with its Annual Public Meeting on Jan. 7, 2019, drew eight exhibitors and dozens of industry representatives, faculty members and students.
The Expo was held in the CoorsTek atrium on the campus of Colorado School of Mines. Exhibitors included Colorado OEDIT, Citrine Informatics, Elementum 3D, The 3D Printing Store, Lithoz America, GE Additive, ALD NanoSolutions and 3D Systems.
That evening, members and other guests, including State Senator Tammy Story of Colorado Senate District 16, attended a dinner at the student center and a presentation by ADAPT Executive Director Dr. Aaron Stebner and fellow ADAPT board member Dr. Craig Brice.
Together, they gave an in-depth review of ADAPT’s progress over the last three years, as well as its structure and management, economic development and education results, 2018 technical achievements and 2019 outlook. Highlights included:
- Growth in membership and research partnerships: In three years, ADAPT grew from 6 founding members to 22 current members and 11 non-member research partners
- Faculty and student growth: ADAPT programs have led to 5 permanent faculty hires at Mines to date and increased postdoc and graduate student hires; additional, ADAPT has graduated 1 PhD student and 3 Master of Science students at Mines
- Expansion of adapt.citrination: 74 data sets and 11 material-process combinations have been generated in ADAPT’s signature data informatics tool
- Presence in the additive community: ADAPT researchers have given more than 30 conference talks and workshops, have published 3 peer-reviewed papers with 6 more pending, and have submitted 4 patent applications
- Research impact: ADAPT has helped its research partners realize a 10x ROI by assisting in raising more than $25 million in external funding
- Educational impact: Mines has established an Advanced Manufacturing degree program that offers a Professional Graduate Certificate and a Master of Science (non-thesis) degree, along with an AM teaching lab
- Collaboration among partners: A recent survey of members indicated that the number one benefit of belonging to ADAPT is the opportunity to collaborate, with networking, workshops and workforce development following close behind
- Upcoming ADAPT events include regular monthly members meetings and an Optimize for AdditiveSM Technical Workshop and Expo, August 26-28, at Colorado School of Mines